If there is one pest that will turn your stomach, it is the sight of a cockroach... Whether in your home, or at a business, if you see one, chances are there are quite a few more nearby.
There are three basic steps to control cockroaches:
- The first step in dealing with cockroaches, you must determine where they are located. The more hiding places you locate, the more successful any control method will be. Cockroaches mostly like warm hiding places with access to food and water.
- Second step is to limit their access to food. Baits can be effective, but if the cockroaches have access to stored food products, or foods left out (like pet food), the bait will have limited results. Sanitation is key here, even the smallest amount of food waste (crumbs, liquids, grease, etc.) can provide a food source for cockroaches. Drains, floor cracks, backsplashes and other hard to reach areas are often overlooked here, but proper cleaning and food storage techniques will go a long way.
- The third step is to keep monitoring the cockroach population. By placing traps in several locations and inspecting them regularly, you can identify where the infestations are coming from.
So, to effectively control , you need to do a few things simultaneously:
- Reduce food and water sources
- Eliminate hiding places
- Consider using baits
- Keep areas properly sanitized
- Use traps to monitor the population
If you need help with a cockroach problem in Grand Rapids, give us a call!